October 27, 2012

Pajama Musings - Make me over!

Maybe it's got to do with my old age and a corresponding unwillingness when it comes to change, but seeing how quite a few bloggers will change their blog design on what seems to be a monthly basis, I couldn't help wondering. Of course there is nothing wrong about getting a new design every once in a while, a couple changes to the layout here, some new blog buttons there. It's just that some bloggers don't seem to be able to make up their minds, jumping from one new blog design to the next, giving their blog not just a slightly different look but making me think something along the line of, "When did I subscribe to that blog? I don't really remember this garish pink background and ... oh, wait, I do remember after all! Last week it was all in black and white!" You get the idea.

Despite the fact that such changes, especially when done more often than IMM posts, are just plain ridiculous in my opinion, I am actually not against blog make-overs. On the contrary. I think that as your blog grows, so does the content, and obviously also the blogger. With these chances you'll inevitably come to a crossroad where you feel the need to implement some new things, and that's perfectly ok.

Only those of you who've been following me since the early days will even remember that I only switched blog designs once. The first one was a generic one that Blogger itself provided and admittedly I started looking for a background that fit my blog theme better pretty soon. It took me a bit to find it, and yes it's still the one you see now. With it I also got a different header and after the little overhaul I was more than happy with the result. Admit it, if you saw a screen shot of my blog you'd (hopefully) recognize it as The Book Garden immediately. See where I'm getting at?

Copyright by Hot Bliggity Blog

As much as I do believe that it's entirely up to the respective blogger to decide what to do with their blog, I sometimes get this urge to leave a comment pleading for a stop of all the constant changes because I'm already suffering from vertigo. Frankly, I doubt I'm the only one.

Do I believe there is a certain time frame one should consider before engaging in some major overhaul? No, of course not. This totally depends on you, the blogger. Though, as should have been made clear by now, once a month is a wee bit too often.

How about myself then? Sticking to the same ol' design until the end of days? Unlikely. I'd lie if I claimed I haven't been toying with the idea of getting a professional blog design (which would obviously still reflect the books and garden theme), but I haven't yet seriously looked into this. When that day arrives though, fear not, I shall warn you all about the changes ahead, and you will all be mentally prepared to find yourself face to computer screen with a whole now look which, as I'd like to point out, will be meant to last longer than a week or two.

How about you? Do constant changes of blog designs annoy you or don't you really care? In case you're a blogger yourself, do you feel that some bloggers are overdoing it when it comes to changing their blog's look? And how often, if ever, have you made over your own blog? Let me know.

16 comments:

  1. I just made the step from Tumblr to Blogger a month ago. I have spent 4 months looking for a design I liked and toying around with some things before I settled.

    I cannot imagine changing my design every month. It is a lot of work and you never know what breaks.

    As I read most blogs trough my RSS feed I do not always see the designs. But a design that is to crowded can actually cause me to stop following the blog.

    I really like your design. It is clean and calm :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. What can I say? I like my design clean and calm! And equally I dislike the visual overload on some blogs, cramped side bars and pop-ups, you name it *shudders*.
      BTW I think your blog design looks fabulous - sleek and professional, plus I like the color theme!

      Delete
  2. I went from blue to purple then orange in a day, then back to blue... since it's my favorite colour. I also changed the header from the white feather to the mysterious woman reading in Venice, but that's it. For now the way the blog looks is ok with me. As for those who change it way too often, they just have too much free time and they cannot stick to one idea for long...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well, playing around a bit is understandable, but never making up your mind is what I just don't get *shrugs*. Personally I feel I've got better things to do in my free time than implementing new layouts every week! ;-)

      Delete
  3. I think brand consistency is incredibly important for anything you want people to engage with and keep coming back to and the look/name/topic of your blog is really your brand. I have launched several blogs over the years (most of which are still going) and have spent a lot of time on my design before I have invited readers in. So far I haven't made any major changes to the design of any of them since their public debut. So basically I agree with you. However, I think different people want different things from their blogs and if a space to design/play/experiment with different things is what you want from your blog then I think you should change it whenever the mood strikes you. It comes down to what you are publishing the blog for.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Totally agree! You want to be recognizable, and constant changes certainly won't achieve this.
      And you're right about different people wanting different things from their blogs, but sometimes I really wish the "experimenting" would stop and they'd make up their minds, because in some cases those changes are just utterly distracting.

      Delete
  4. i haven't modified my design yet and i'm not planning to either ( at the moment)

    i admit that sometimes too i get confused when i'm used to a blog and a specific design and then it change but completly sometimes there is still part staying teh same but sometimes not at all and that can be disturbing

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Many blogs I follow have undergone changes, but in most cases the general theme was still recognizable and it was more of an upgrade than a constant dress rehearsal. Which reminds me, have you seen Rikki's new blog design? This is a fantastic example of how changes are well done!!

      Delete
  5. I remember when you changed to this design!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Not surprisingly seeing how you're one of my oldest readers! Uhm ... bad choice of words, but you know how it's meant!

      Delete
  6. Ahaha, I get you Birgit! I don't mind changes as I mostly read rss, but I really hate clashing garish colours and especially when you can't find where the hell is the comment form on the blog? That's unforgivable. If you remember I've changed my blog design once in 1.5 years and only because I felt that the emphasis on what I read most these days slowly changed, and the blog needed to reflect it. Otherwise, it's a lot of work as I do all my templates from scratch and have to tweak a lot of things to make everything work. Doing it every month sounds like a horrible idea to me. I like consistency and branding, not yo-yo designs.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I still remember your old design and I must say I totally prefer the new one ... the previous one was so, errr, bloodthirsty *lol*.

      Delete
  7. Ha, this post really comes at the right time.

    Well, I LOVE change. You know what they say "A change is as good as a rest". That does not mean that changing your blog design every month isn't ridiculous. But once in a while (let's say once a year maybe) I get the urge to change my blog, for all sorts of reasons. I want to create a new banner, I don't like the color scheme anymore etc...That does not mean that I change the style from rather clean and tidy to insane, flashy and glitzy. I try to keep my style but give it another look nevertheless. I also always keep my one column, one sidebar concept, so people can find their way around just like before. My new theme has an option to fit in a second sidebar in between with featured posts and I really liked the idea but I found it looked too crowded, so I kept the idea and created a featured posts widget instead. I think it is all about staying somehow in the same line of style if you change your design "often".
    Speaking of your no-change policy (up to now), I admire you for your consistency. I could never keep a look that long. Even though I might say "Oh, I love this and am going to keep it" after a while I just feel the need for change anyway.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Consistency, for now. Like I said, I might change the layout/design one day, who knows. The point is, if I do so it will be well thought out and there to stay for longer than a month.

      Delete
  8. Mine has evolved over time from a standard Blogger template but I do all the tweaks myself. I've played with making it a pale background a few times as people like to moan about dark blogs but I haven't found any way of doing it that I like and keeps that same feel for my blog. I did make it lower contrast though as my research confirmed that high contrast is harder on the eyes that a dark background (and tha goes for pure black on pure white too).

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh I know ... dark backgrounds aren't all that popular though so far no one's officially complained about this to me (yet). And I think you're right about it also being a matter of contrast - I once came across a blog with black background and words assaulted me in various neon colors. Now THAT hurt!

      Delete