November 25, 2012

THIS ISN'T FICTION Reading Challenge


Everyone who loves my Friday feature This isn't Fiction listen up! Now you won't only be able to read about non fiction on a weekly basis, you can also participate in a reading challenge! Like the sound of this? Then read on, my dears!

Before you sign up 
there are a few things to consider ... 

All non fiction genres are allowed!

Books must be at least 100 pages long (excluding appendix and annotations)!

Books must be read in their entirety and not just in part (which consequently excludes encyclopedias, then again who in their right mind would want to read one of those from beginning to end)!

No picture heavy books - you're supposed to read not just look at pretty photos (that said, books should have a 75:25 text/picture ratio - if it's a big tome with 300 or more pages, then it may be a 50:50 ratio)!

ARCs and re-reads are allowed!

So, what's it going to be for you?

5 Books - Kindergarden

10 Books - Elementary School

15 Books - High School

20 or more Books - College

To sign up, please read the general rules below! Then post about the challenge on your blog, including the button above, and don't forget to link back to my blog or directly to this blog post which will be the main sign-up page now (I'd ask to link back to the THIS ISN'T FICTION Reading Challenge page but Blogger is acting up and won't allow me to publish any new pages - apparently a known problem for some time now)!

Non-Bloggers may of course sign up as well for the challenge - no sign-up post needed!

*****

RULES

To sign up, all you have to do is fill out the FORM!

To view the list of all participants go HERE.

Updates on the challenge will be posted on a regular basis (usually the first Sunday each month) and you may then comment with your own progress.

The challenge will take place between January 1st and December 31st 2013.

You can join any time between now and early 2013.

You have to pick a level, though you may "upgrade" to the next one at any time. In this case just drop me a line, so I can change your previous level.

You don't need to list your books ahead of time, though I won't object if you do. I'm definitely curious about your book choices for the challenge.

The books you choose may crossover into other challenges.

Both physical and eBooks are allowed.

Reviews of the books read are not mandatory.

If you have any questions, please comment below!

15 comments:

  1. Now, this one, I could do! But... 2013 is going to be a strange year for me. Not sure if I will have books with me. Hmm.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Replies
    1. In short, YES. Though I wonder, are there a lot of non fiction audio books available? Seriously, I'm totally clueless about this! :-D

      Delete
    2. Surprisingly, yes! There are lots of non-fiction audiobooks. I've read several this year.

      Delete
  3. Nice challenge! I have around 7 or 8 books on my shelf, waiting to be read, so I chose 5, which is totally doable :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Does Alison Weir count as non fiction? But even if she doesn't ... I do have too many non fiction books that need to be read! :D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yikes, I somehow totally overlooked your comment, sorry!
      I haven't read anything by Alison Weir yet, so I had to look her up on Goodreads. Well, most of her books seem to be history/memoir type of reads so yes they will certainly be ok for this challenge!

      Delete
  5. I decided to upgrade my challenge to ten books, since 5 is not like a real challenge, so could you update that info, Birgit? Thanks :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yay to your upgrade! I already updated your level in the sign-up form.

      Delete
  6. Okay. All signed up. I like non-fiction but I tend to get distracted by the fiction when I’m searching my shelves for a new book. A challenge will help me remember to pick up non-fiction too.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Now we can't have those fiction books distracting us, can we? Thanks for signing up and happy reading!

      Delete
  7. I haven't intentionally set out to read nonfic in ages! I've signed up for 5, which should be easy enough, and we'll see how many over that I can get by the end of the year.

    ~:D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Good to have you participate in both of my challenges! And I think five books are a great goal, especially if you're usually reading only fiction!

      Delete
  8. Yay! I have 5 non fiction books on my shelf, perfect. It will be mostly about music :) I will fill the form when I have some time to put my sign-up post.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Welcome to the challenge and happy reading!

      Delete